Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Cyanosis

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Cyanosis

About 5 weeks ago our 15 month old son started turning purple, mainly on his extremities and lips.  Over the first week it seemed to worsen and extend to his trunk, we took him to urgent care and his SP02 was 100%, heart sounded normal and they didn't take it very serious.  His episodes of Cyanosis continued and he turn more purple, more frequently (it comes and goes with no specific pattern), he also is not his normal self.  He is very sleepy, VERY cranky and what we can tell as being uncomfortable, he has had several episodes of unexplainable pain where he is arching his back and screaming at the top of his lungs anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours and is inconsolable.  So we took him to his pediatrician who was concerned, he did a chest xray, EKG, and CBC and sed rate, all which came back normal (his platelets came back a little high because he also had a sinus infection that he was already on antibiotics for, also which has cleared up for 3+ weeks).  His pediatrician sent us to a peds cardiologist who did an echo, that also came back completely normal.  They have now sent us to a peds neurologist who is investigating and doing a whole slew of tests, including an EEG, Autonomic nerve test and more blood work and urine tests.  My question is what could this be?  Why the sudden onset now and not when he was younger?  Has anyone else seen this in their kids?
Tags: cyanosis, Pain
Dear Allan,

I cannot say what this is without evaluating him, nor can I say why this didn't show up until now without knowing what it is.  However, this could be one of several things.  It could be an anomalous coronary artery arising from the pulmonary artery; ostensibly this would have been ruled out by the echocardiogram, but not always.  It could be a seizure, though less likely.  I do not think that it is some sort of vasospastic disease, in which the blood vessels clamp down.  Certainly autonomic evaluation might be appropriate in his case.  There's a lot more information I would need to be able to get a sense of what's going on with him, though.