Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
DOUBLE AORTIC ARCH IS PRESENT AT BIRTH

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

DOUBLE AORTIC ARCH IS PRESENT AT BIRTH

1. How do we so sure that Double Aortic Arch is 100% present at Birth, are there any Baby got these Aortic Arch after their delivery?

2. Can we find out whether the unborn baby is having Double Aortic Arch? In which month can scan and find out?

3. Normally the surgery for Double Aortic Arch, is not the dangerous part, most important period is after the surgery, is that true? What would be happened after the surgery? Can blood preasure suddenly go high? What will happened next, if baby having high blood preasure?

Last, can email to my email address : , attention to : Mr. Alfred Tay
Thank you for your intention, hope can recieve your reply soon.

Your Sincerely,
ALFRED TAY

Double aortic arch is an uncommon abnormality of the aorta, where instead of having a single left sided arch, there is a larger right sided arch and a smaller left sided arch that encircle the airway tubes.  This is not usually diagnosed prenatally, and in fact may be exceedingly difficult to diagnose on a fetal echocardiogram.  These are congenital (you are born with them) but they are not usually diagnosed until a patient has respiratory symptms, usually stridor or noisy breathing.  The age at presentation varies depending upon the amount of constriction of the airway tube.  The diagnostic test to evaluate this is an MRI of the aorta, best done after the child is born and has symptoms. If this needs surgical repair it is done through an incision in the left chest and does not require cardiopulmonary bypass.  The common postoperative issues would be bleeding, or fluid buildup in the chest, or possible nerve damage, but high blood pressure is not a significant postop issue here.
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your invaluableners reply.

Mmm..Actually I am the patient's father, my permature baby daughter (patient), she is very strong, can survive for 8 months but unfortunately after the surgery is done, 6 days later she suddenly start bleeding, first can manage to control, second can't...she left.

From parent's point of view, even though we know this is the true, unfortunately really happened so sudden for us accept it. Dear Sir, aren't there any specialist doctor can solve this issue, instead of pushing these to our GOD?

Last, I am got 2 very IMPORTANT questions to ask, hope can have your advices :-

1. Wound (Surgery delivery) need to wait for how long to recover?When is saved time for us to have SECOND baby?

2. After my wife start pregnant, when is the best time for us to check, whether baby is healthy and without double aortic arch issue?

Thank you for your intention, I hope can receive your 2nd invaluableners reply soon!!

Yours Sincerely,
ALFRED TAY
A double aortic arch would not likely be a familial condition, unless it was associated with a familial chromosome anomaly called DiGeorge syndrome.  Then one of the parents might have the gene and could continue to pass it on to other children.  So the chance of a recurrence in another child is extremely small if your first child did not have a chromosome abnormality.  I can think of no reason to suggest a specific time for you and your wife wait before trying again to get pregnant.  That is a personal decision.  After the next child is born, you should direct your concerns to the pediatrician and they can decide if there is any reason to test the baby for an arch problem.