Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Detrocardia

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Detrocardia

i ave recently found out my son has dextoardia durng pregnancy i had extra scans and thougt the purpose of theese wa o find out if organs esecially the eart was developing properly should this conditio have been picked up on before birth
Dear Chemaine,

I cannot comment as to whether this should have been picked up during the pregnancy, because I do not know the degree of the scans done.  The level II, or targeted anomaly, scan looks to make sure that there heart has four chambers, that they are appropriate in size, and that the heart is beating fairly symmetrically.  It typically doesn't look at anything else regarding the heart, which inherently misses a lot of problems with the heart.  However, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology feel that this is an acceptable screening study at this point.  WIthout reviewing what was seen previously on your scans, I cannot say whether the situs (the side that the heart faces) should have been determined by the ultrasound.