Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Dextrocardia and Tachypnea 11 day old infant
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dextrocardia and Tachypnea 11 day old infant

My son was born 11 days ago at 38 weeks. Shortly after birth he started grunting and having fast, labored breathing. They took him to the NICU and did a chest xray. The chest xray showed dextrocardia but they told me that his lungs looked normal on the xray. They said that his breathing would get better it was just from transitioning. They made an appointment w/ a pediatric cardiologist. We went there and had an echo and he said that everything appeared fine for the heart but he did have dextrocardia of the heart. He then looked at the chest xray and said that it looked to him that the left lung was small with a possible diaphram hernia. Then he wanted to repeat some of the echo and checked the diaphram and it was moving and appeared normal. Then he looked at the pulmunary veins. The vein to the right was sized at 6.3 but the vein to the left was .22. He referred us to get a repeat chest xray and to a pediatric pulmunologist.

We went to the pulmunologist and he said he thinks the lung is smaller by the xray and that his ribs were closer together and there was something in the bottom of the left lung that kept it from growing and said it could be a diaphram hernia, double liver, etc. He also said to watch the repsiratory rate and write it down. Which I have been and it's around 80 breaths per minute. He wanted to do a MRI or a CT scan to see the lungs better but wanted to see about putting him to sleep first w/ an anesthesiologist since he has a fast respiratory rate. (We have not heard back from him..that was last week)

The pediatrican just ordered a abdominal ultrasound today and that came back normal. When I was there I picked up both chest xrays, from birth and the repeat one. I read the radiologist report and they both say that the lung appears normal but there was dextrocardia.

Can there be dextrocardia cause tachypnea and nothing wrong w/ his lungs since two seperate radiologist say that the lungs appear normal? His oxygen saturation is always 100%.