Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Dr Boris-Newborn with hole in heart.
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dr Boris-Newborn with hole in heart.

Dr Boris,

Hi,  My newborn twin(fraternal) granddaughter was born with OAVSa mild form of Goldenhar- she has bilateral macrostomia. She will be having surgery at St Rosa Children's Hospital with her Craniofacial Surgeon  Dr. Aaron Mason , hopefully in July.  At her consult with Dr. Mason, he discovered a murmur and referred to a cardiologist. Before that visit, her pedetrician also noted a murmur in her and her twin.  She also noted another sound and was immediately bumped up for her cardio visit.  With a EKG and an Echo being performed the cardiologist said she has the "regular hole that we are all born with, but that hers appeared to be a little larger and is hoping it will still close on her own".
He will re-evaluate in 6 months.  Does this sound accurate to you?  I know that you can make no type if Dx, just only want to know if the info about having a regular hole is accurate?  All of the rest of her heart-chambers, vessels, etc appears normal.
She has great difficulty when using the Haberman nipple and pants when feeding.  She was taken once to the ER for extreme panting and hyperventilating (according to ER).  She was given EKG and they said she was okay and released her.
The cardio did tell them to watch for blueness occuring around mouth, hands and feet.  None so far.
If you are able could you just give me your opinion, so this grandmother can rest better at night.  My concerns is for the heart, panting under general anesthisia.  
She also has mulitple skin tags around ears and a few around her mouth.  They will check her spine at around 1 year of age. ??  Why so long to X-ray that?

I am a long-distance grandma and would appreciate greatly any input you may have.
Dr Mason was once  a  doctor at your Hospital.

Thank You,

~sass~