Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
EKG test done at age 15 days

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

EKG test done at age 15 days

hello doctor, I have son, his weight is 2.85 K.g now and he is 24 days old now, he got jaundice when he born, he went to hospital for Phototherapy, there doctors suggested that he has a murmur in heart, one doctor advised to come after he attains 6 weeks of age, other doctor advised EKG test immediately, there we got report EKG of small and perimonal V.S.D of 3.5 mm, doctor said it is small and we need not to worry, no medications required and it  will close on its own within 1 and half year of my son,I am worrying about the fact that EKG test has been done before 6 weeks of age, and can we beleive on result of EKG at 15 days or we should wait for 6 weeks to go for test again, please help i am very worried.
Dear gagan76:  From your posting, it sounds like you have a 3 week old baby boy, who has a murmur.  If you have been told that there is a small 3.5 mm perimembranous VSD (ventricular septal defect), then your child likely had a special cardiac test called an echocardiogram (not an EKG- that is a different type of test).  A VSD is a hole in the wall between the lower chambers of the heart, and occurs commonly in the general population.  Small holes generally improve over time, and rarely require surgery.  Echocardiogram tests are quite reliable when performed and interpreted by people who are familiar with congenital heart disease, regardless of the age and size of the patient.  Follow up in 6 weeks time is a reasonable recommendation, as it takes time to see if there is any improvement in the size of the hole.  We know the hole is “small” if the child is growing well and gains weight, and does not show any other findings of high blood pressure in the lungs, over time.  I think you should keep track of how well the child is feeding, how long it takes to feed, and how the weight gain is going, and have that information available to the doctor at the 6 week check up.