Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Enlarged heart for a 4months baby girl

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Enlarged heart for a 4months baby girl

Dear Doctor,

My daughter is four months old, she was born by cesarean. she has always since birth had chest pains, cough, and

she used to take small feeds several times. We used to take her to hospitals and they said she had

pneumonia and they used to treat that,On the 29th of September she could hardly breath and we went to hospital

where they discovered that her heart was bigger than the actual size it should have been.

We have been hospitalized in Uganda Heart Institute Mulago since then, and on the 4th of October we were discharged. The doctor administered some medicine which he said will go on for three months.
What is your advise on this issue? is this disease curable? and what is the total solution

Regards

Williams

Father of the patient
Dear Williams,

Unfortunately, from what you are telling me, I cannot tell what is happening with your daughter.  It is possible that she has a congenital heart defect that is causing her to have congestive heart failure, but it could also be an abnormality of her lungs.  Therefore, without a real diagnosis, I cannot comment on any advice, treatment, or prognosis.  You should speak with your doctor in Uganda and make sure that get answers to all of your questions.  Or, if you have the ability to do so, you should seek a second opinion from a doctor who will answer your questions completely.