Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Heart Burn or Heart Murmmur?

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Heart Burn or Heart Murmmur?

I am only twelve, but I feel like I've been having heartburn for a year or two. Whenever I run or eat unhealthy foods, I feel a stabbing feeling in my chest. I can hardly run in a school jog a thon now. Being as it may with heartburn, I also have femoral anterversion. Once again, I am of age twelve. Can you be so kind and help me? Thank you.
Hi.  When heart burn occurs it is usually after eating, while laying down or at rest.  A simple thing to do if you think it is heart burn is to takle some antacids (over the counter) on a regular basis and see if it makes any difference in how you feel.  However, when someone gets chest pain with running, that is more concerning.  If you have had to cut back on your running because of the pain, that is a concern.  If you have not done so already, you should talk to your family doctor or pediatrician about this and get an electrocardiogram (ECG) as a baseline.  Based upon your physical examination, ECG result and family history, your doctor may refer you to a cardiologist.  Keep well hydrated and only do what you can do without pain until you get checked out.
Ok and thanks. My problem though is that my mom thinks that I don't have heartburn or anything and claims that I don't need to see a doctor. My jog a thon is tomorrow, so every time I feel the blast of stabbing pain in my chest I shall stop and walk for now. It has been getting worse the more I have been doing physical activities. I don't have a clue what will happen tomorrow, but I know that my school nurse doesn't have the skills and techniques to help the pain in my chest go away. Either way, I shall look into seeing a doctor with experience. And as for family records, my mom has heart murmur.
I think it is a good idea to get checked out.