Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Heart Murmur

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Heart Murmur

My daughter is 15 she has panic attacks but is doing better. She is on the basketball team and track team. She loves to be outside. My question is She was born three weeks early come out breech weight 5lb 11 oz and had a heart murmur.She is having chest pain and is tired all the time. She get lots of sleep but is still tired, she takes Vitamin pill every morning. We had her heart check three years ago. My dad had three heart attacks and 7 stokes and four by pass surgery and Die this August of a heart attack. Should we have her check again.
It sounds like you have several concerns here: 1) your teenage daughter has chest pain and fatigue (but you don't say if the chest pain is activity related or not), 2) she has a history of prematurity and a heart murmur (not sure if the murmur is still present, and not sure what evaluation she had by the cardiologist 3 years ago), and 3) there is a family history of heart attacks and strokes in adult members of the family.  The first 2 parts of your comment cannot be addressed without more information.  The last part suggests that all members of your family should have their cholesterol levels checked, and avoid overweight and smoking. It sounds like you should start with an evaluation by your primary doctor as to why she is fatigued.  She should have an electrocardiogram (ECG) as part of her chest pain evaluation (and perhaps a chest x-ray if she is fatigued) and then you and your doctor can decide if she needs to go back to see a cardiologist based upon the type and timing of her chest pain, and what studies were performed in the past.
Heart murmur is still there and it hurts when she plays basketball and sometime when she is doing anything.