Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Heart Valves Left side of the heart enlarge heart

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My son was bron on july 19 2009.When was bron the docter told me that he had a small heart murmur and that it will close with in 48hours the day that we was going home he said that my baby still had the murmur.Now is it true do murmur close with in 48hours.I took my son to see a baby heart docter and he said that his heart was raelly bad he has an enlarge heart the left side is not pumping right and he has two valves in the heart that are pumping blood back in to his heart and his lungs are geting lots of flued in them.Now my question for you is the docter dont want to give him srugarey what do you think i should do should i take him to a new hospitle and see what they say cause im scare that my son is going to die and i dont know what to do.What can cause a baby heart to be like this i need to know why was he bron like this i have two girls and they dont have anything wrong with them they cant tell me what cause this i want to know.Now they say that he can die what can i do to stop him froming dieing he is my only son.
Tags: Hope for an answer, chf, Congestive Heart Failure
Dear Jary,

Unfortunately, from the information that you are giving me, I cannot tell exactly what is going in with your son’s heart.  It does sound like he may have some symptoms of congestive heart failure, in which the heart is not able to meet the body’s needs.  Since I do not know what his heart problem is, I can’t tell what kind of, or if he needs, surgery of any kind.  It does sound like he may need some medication to help with the fluid in his lungs.  However, in the end, I would recommend that he see another pediatric cardiologist to determine what his problem is, to see if medications or surgery would help, and to educate you on what is wrong with his heart.
They say that he do need the surgrey but they dont want to do it right now now he is on life support they put him to sleep now i want to know is this a common condetion in a baby they say that its not common in babys his age now i dont know what to do they are saying that he may die
Dear Jary,

Again, I do not know what is wrong with your son or his heart, so I cannot tell you anything more about what he needs, how common his problem is, why he is on life support, and what his risk is.  I need to know what his heart defect or problem is before even trying to help you figure out what to do here.  However, if he is on some sort of life support at this time, he is likely too sick to move to another hospital and he will have to remain with the medical team who is caring for him at this time.  Therefore, you need to talk with them and get them to give you the answers to your questions.  Ask them exactly what is wrong with his heart, why he is on life support, what medicines he is on, what kind of surgery he needs, why they feel he needs to wait for surgery at this time, and what they plan to do to get him better.  I know that this is scary for you, but they need to be able to teach you what is happening with your son.