Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Heart aneurysm

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Heart aneurysm

I have a 3 month old son who has a lot of complications. The doctors don't know what happened to him at all, they said whatever it is, there's no test for it. Other than that, he has a heart aneurysm. Can someone please explain all you know about it? His dr didn't tell me anything about it. Will he have to get heart surgery for it? What are the risks if I decline the surgery?
Dear Doodas' mum

I have very little information about your son's aneurysm, as to where it is, how big it is, etc.  I really cannot say what needs to be done for it.  I recommend that you talk with your local cardiologist and discuss these questions specifically.  If you feel that you are not getting the answers that you need, I would strongly consider a second opinion.
It's a Sinus of Valsalva (spellcheck) and it's large. His cardiology appt is in a couple of weeks and I just want to be prepared for what is to come. I know some aneurysms are fatal but I don't know if this is the type. Thank you.