Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Heart rate question for toddlers

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Heart rate question for toddlers

17 month old DD has a small VSD that is very restrictive, that had led to some very minor leaking in her TV (the VSD used to be quite big). She's doing awesome, off meds, growing well, healthy, and active. Her normal resting heart rate is good, however we find that it takes very little activity to send her heart rate up high, and not only that but when that happens her heart just pounds - enough that you can feel it easily when holding her. Is this just a normal finding for toddlers, or maybe just a "normal" result of all that her heart has been through (the ASD, VSD, six months of CHF etc...), or something that maybe needs to be address. I know she had an EKG done last month and it was normal, however she was also sitting still (by some miracle! lol) when it was done. Her heart rate on the EKG resting was 123 bpm.
Dear Mshanson,

Without evaluating your daughter, I cannot say what is causing her heart rate to do what it is doing.  After following your posts over the last year, I'm glad that she is doing better.  Unless she has any kind of ventricular dysfunction, which it sounds like she does not have, there isn't really any reason due to her prior heart failure that should lead to these findings.  If her VSD is restrictive, I would make sure that she is adequately hydrated, but would otherwise see what her heart rate range is in conjunction with your cardiologist.