Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Heart
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Heart

My 7 year daughter having 19 mm ASD. Weight 18 Kgs. Blood Pressure Normal. Which is suitable for her to cure the ASD. Surgery or Device Fixing ?

Thanks
Related Discussions
773637_tn?1327450515
Dear Udupasri,

Without evaluating your daughter, I cannot say which is the best option.  Device closure is certainly much less invasive and works quite well.  And, a 19 mm atrial septal defect (ASD) would certainly be a reasonable candidate in experienced hands.  However, the defect should be away from the valves and should have adequate rim on all sides for the device to hold on to.  An experienced cardiologist should be able to evaluate her and decide whether she is a good candidate.  Device closure does not guarantee a 100% rate of defect closure, however; surgery is the tried and true method, and can certainly be done relatively easily.  It would be most important to ensure that the person performing the procedure has plenty of experience, no matter which gets done.
2 Comments
Blank
The device closure should be your first option and if it fails you can always go for surgical closure. But in 90% of the cases if a cardiologists doesa device closure it is a sucess. Nowif I may know your location in India I can also give you some good doctors contact. Ifyou need reply and till then god is there.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
773637_tn?1327450515
Jeffrey R Boris, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
773655_tn?1340656399
Marie M Gleason, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
Blank