Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Heart

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Heart

My 7 year daughter having 19 mm ASD. Weight 18 Kgs. Blood Pressure Normal. Which is suitable for her to cure the ASD. Surgery or Device Fixing ?

Dear Udupasri,

Without evaluating your daughter, I cannot say which is the best option.  Device closure is certainly much less invasive and works quite well.  And, a 19 mm atrial septal defect (ASD) would certainly be a reasonable candidate in experienced hands.  However, the defect should be away from the valves and should have adequate rim on all sides for the device to hold on to.  An experienced cardiologist should be able to evaluate her and decide whether she is a good candidate.  Device closure does not guarantee a 100% rate of defect closure, however; surgery is the tried and true method, and can certainly be done relatively easily.  It would be most important to ensure that the person performing the procedure has plenty of experience, no matter which gets done.
The device closure should be your first option and if it fails you can always go for surgical closure. But in 90% of the cases if a cardiologists doesa device closure it is a sucess. Nowif I may know your location in India I can also give you some good doctors contact. Ifyou need reply and till then god is there.