Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
High heart rate in almost 4 year old

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

High heart rate in almost 4 year old

Thank you so much for this forum. I noticed that my almost 4 year old has high rate. I measured it with a hear rate monitor yesterday and it was about 126 beats per minute. She was resting, wAtching tv. I measured it twice in the morning and evening, it was about the same both times. In the evening it was perhaps slightly higher by a few beats. The highest reading I got was about 132. But it was there for a less than a second and most likely attributed to my daughter moving just slightly. She is otherwise healthy and does not complain of any problems whatsoever. Today I measured her rate and it was about 110 or so.  And if I listen her heart by ear I could hear it to be slower today when it was yesterday. Also, i did take her measument while she was asleep and it showed. 100 or less. I took her to pediatrician today and she told me that it is not normal to have a rate so high. She also listened to it and said it is about 95 and told me it is still on higher side? She ordered bloodwork and referral to pediatric cardiologist. I am of course worried now. What could it be and what are consequences. Note also, during summer I was hugging her and noticed her heart rate to be high but I did not really pay attention to it.
The heart rates of children vary very widely throughout the course of the day.  Of course it will be slower during sleep and faster with activity, but if a 4 year old wears a heart monitor for 24 hours, the average heart rate could range widely from 90-120 beats per minute.  It sounds to me like your child's heart rate varies throughout the day and is likely normal.  Often the heart rate can be more easily felt or visible at this age because the chest wall is thin and the heart can be a little more hyperdynamic.  Sometimes children do not drink enough fluids.  If your child's heart exam is otherwise normal, and their activity level is normal, I doubt if you have much to be concerned about.  Certainly see the cardiologist as your doctor has requested, but wait and see what they say.