Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
I Feel Like My Heart Stopa

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

I Feel Like My Heart Stopa

I Am 14 Yr Ols And The Last Couple Months When Im On My Period And Get Bad Cramps I Feel Like My Heart Stops For About 3-5 Seconds And This Happens Till The Cramps Go Away . Is This Normal ? Should I Be Worried ?
Dear Zoey Lee,

Brief, nonsustained palpitations are scary and are frequent, especially if you have a lot of caffeine intake.  These are typically due to early heartbeats.  That said, the extreme discomfort of your cramps may be inducing a vasovagal response that is slowing your heart rate..  However, without evaluating your ECG, your history, and a 24-hour Holter monitor (a recording of all of your heatbeats in a 24 hour period), I cannot tell you exactly what is going on here.  My recommendation is that you be evaluated by a pediatric cardiologist so that these tests can be performed and to see what's happening.  Otherwise, I cannot tell you if it is normal and if you need to be concerned about this.