Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Is waiting for two year risky for a kid, with large twenty mm FOSSA OVA...

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Is waiting for two year risky for a kid, with large twenty mm FOSSA OVALIS SEPTAL DEFECT

My only one kid,daughter,age 1 year old,8.7 kg at the time of the diagnosis on June 4,2011 was diagnosed with a very large 19mm FOSSA OVALIS SEPTAL DEFECT WITH LEFT TO RIGHT SHUNT,RA AND RV dilated deficient margins.with mild hyperkinetic pulmonary artery hyper tension and the doctor has advised to wait and see if it closes naturally.The Hospital authorities have advised to come for another check up in 2013,June.If the problem has not been solved, its own by then,they advised, they would do the surgery then,by that time my child too will be 3 year old.Now my question is,is it not a very long duration?What are the precautions and care I should take during this period?Or should I go to some other hospitals and see other experts?I don't have any idea about what to be done.Please, i request you to give your valuable advise on this.Your advised will be highly valued and appreciated and I will decide further procedings .Joe
Dear Joe,

A 19 mm secundum atrial septal defect (ASD) is essentially not going to close by itself.  The likelihood is pretty much zero.  However, if she is doing well, we typically elect to close these defects between ages 3 and 5 years.  That said, in experienced hands, it can certainly be closed earlier and there is not likely any advantage of waiting in a defect that will not be spontaneously closing..  Check to see that she is not getting out of breath or sweating easier than her peers with exercise; if she doesn't have this, she can probably wait.
1 Comment
Thank you very much,dear doctor for your reply.Your reply was indeed helpful to prepare myself for the inevitable surgery.At the earliest,I am gonna take her to a pediatric cardiologist and decide on further proceedings.