Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Late term complications related to vsd closure

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

I was just reading through some posts and came across this piece of information from one of the doctors:

"We do recommend intermittent follow up of perimembranous VSDs as there can be late term complications related to the body's attmept to close the VSD spontaneously.  These occur in only a relatively small number of patients, but the issues include:  the development of a subaortic membrane (under the aortic valve), aortic valve cusp prolapse and valve leakage, and the development of right ventricular muscle bundles."

I was wondering more about this. Do these complications arise even if the body closes the vsd successfully, or only if the vsd remains open?
My daughter's membranous vsd is trying to spontaneously close via the tricuspid valve pouch, as her dr calls it. Will this lead to any of these  late term complications?
The complications usually occur while the VSD is still open.  After complete closure of a VSD and loss of the heart murmur, it is unlikely that these complications would arise, but not impossible.  So the primary doctor still needs to listen well to the heart on well child check ups.
I'm not sure but I'd like to know, too, as my daughter (5 months) her VSD is still 4.5mm, and is also restrictive due to her tricuspid valve pouch (daughter's VSD has an inlet extension)