Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Looking for A Suggestion For my baby's Heart Problem ( PFO/ASD,VSD...

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Looking for A Suggestion For my baby's Heart Problem ( PFO/ASD,VSD)

hi, I have a 17 days old boy. I took him to a child specialist for his stool problem who gave him an echo for hearing an extra sound in his heart beat. Today I got to know the following comment from his echo report, "2D & M-MODE, COLOUR DOPPLER ECHO FINDINGS ARE CONSISTENT WITH PFO/ ASD (3 mm) & SMALL VSD (3 mm)(Membranous)". I consulted with a doctor who told me to wait for 6 months to see if the leak of the heart will fill up automatically what has a good chance. But I am very tensed as I also had a leak in my heart by birth (ASD) for what I had an open heart surgery at the age of 9. How much possibility there is to fill the leak of his heart and is this happened to him because of my problem? My baby is 3.6 kg and he doesn't have any problem in breathing. What kind of problems he can face for this?please give me a reply. Hope to have a reply soon. It will be kind of you.
Your history of needing open heat surgerry for an ASD during childhood does raise the chance of you having children with congenital heart disease.  however, it does not mean that they will necessarily need heart surgery. A 3 mm PFO/ASD is an acceptable size in all newborns and statistically they close on their own over time.  A 3 mm perimembranous VSD is also considered a small hole and the chances of that needing open heart surgery is very small.  I agree with your doctor that there is nothing to do now but wait and recheck in 6 months.  Even if they are both still there, it is not a concern as long as the child is growing well, the heart chambers are normal in size and the echocardiogram suggests that there is normal pressure in the lungs. Routine follow up would be recommended. Good luck.