Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Lost and looking for answers!

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Lost and looking for answers!

My 11 yr old daughter has had 2 episodes less than 1 month apart.

1st time: Complained of head hurting,dizziness, eyes rolled to the left and she fainted to the right, skin pale, sweat cold clammy with lips a blue'ish color, and uncontrolable crying, lasting about 15-20 sec tops

2nd time: Complained of head hurting, dizziness, had her sit down so she didnt fall, skin pale, lip color normal, sweating cold and clammy and didn't faint this time, uncontrolable crying, (she told the Dr she felt everything spinning like a rollercoaster ride she couldnt get off, she could hear me but, my voice was in the distance when I was sitting right next to her).
Her Blood pressure the afternoon of the 2nd attack at the Dr office was 162/58 sitting and 160/58 laying down. Both attacks happened within 30 mins of her waking up in the morning.The next day school nurse took bloodpressure and it was 112/70 sitting and 114/72 laying down, 2 days after episode at Dr's  Blood pressure was 98/72 sitting and 102/72 laying down.
Dr has refered her out to a cardioligist to rule out neurogenic syncope and having her go for a CT to check for a tumor. They have also done blood testing for kidney's,liver,anemia, a few others and having her go in Monday for a fasting blood test.
My daughters history: she was dignosed 15 months old (1st seizure) that she has seizure activity in left hemispere of brain (no meds for this as she hasnt had many) and then migrains which she was on propranol for for years currently has not been on any meds for 4+ years. She is 84 lbs and 58 inches tall.
We have over a month wait to see the cardioligist so, please any suggestions to whats happening with my daughter I would appreciate it. Also, to the fact most things they said it could be including neurogenic Syncope I see peoples bloodpressure drop and seemed like my daughters went up and has flexuated so much in numbers so, what does this mean? She feels the episodes coming on before it happens lasting 2-5 mins.
Dear Ashaki:  If your daughter complains of a headache every time she experiences a dizzy episode, you should speak with your primary doctor regarding a neurologic evaluation of her headaches (ie: migraines), especially given her past history of seizures and migraines when she was younger.  Many children with migraine headaches also experience vagally mediated dizzy spells. It is difficult to know if the eye deviation that you describe is related to a seizure, or a drop in blood pressure that results in a fainting spell. I agree with your doctor’s recommendation to get a cranial CT scan.  The second episode of feeling everything spinning, auditory changes, paleness could be seen with low blood pressure (seen in vagally mediated or neurocardiogenic syncope) or it could also be due to vertigo (due to an inner ear problem).  Her high blood pressure in the doctor’s office was measured after the event, when she was stressed, and may not reflect what the blood pressure was when she felt the worst at the time of her symptoms.  The absence of significant changes in blood pressure with positional change only rules out significant orthostatic hypotension.  These normal blood pressures can still be seen with vagally mediated syncope.  Since your daughter has a feeling that precedes her events (a prodrome or aura) she may be able to abort a vagally mediated episode by laying down and drinking fluids.  She needs to see a cardiologist, to rule out serious cardiac issues, and then needs to increase her fluid intake to 40-60 ounces per day.  She also needs added salt in her diet.