Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Mildly abnormal EKG??

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Mildly abnormal EKG??

Hello.  My 10 year old son was screened at a free heart screening for student athletes in my area.  I went in there thinking everything was ok.  He has never complained about any sort of dizziness, fainting, rapid heartbeat etc.  However, I was thrown for a loop when I was told the cardiologist wanted to speak with me.   Basically she said, he had a mildly abnormal ekg (she pointed to the actual test which of course, I had no idea what she meant).  She then went on to say we should follow up in a year.  That's it!  So you tell me my sons heart test is not "normal", yet she also said has no restrictions, not to worry too much and bye bye see ya later!   Can anyone shed any light on this? I have his well visit in a few weeks and will definitely bring it up with his ped but I am a nervous wreck!  Thanks so much for reading this and any and all advice would be appreciated.
Dear Kittycat,

I have to say that I am not actually a big fan of these free heart screening programs, honestly.  They are sometimes run by pediatric cardiologists, but sometimes by adult cardiologists who don't always understand pediatric and adolescent cardiology needs.  As well, these screenings don't truly cover the issues needed to ensure that your child is not at risk for sudden cardiac death, which is the big concern.  Unfortunately, without evaluating him or the ECG, I can't say what the issue is here.  I think that, unfortunately, you may end up having to meet with a pediatric cardiologist and have it evaluated more completely and explained better to you.