Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Muscular VSD 2.5 mm
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Muscular VSD 2.5 mm

Hi Doctor
My son is 1.5 months old and since birth he has Muscular VSD of 2.5 mm.
Your are requested to please tell us will it heal by itself and how much time it could take.
What will be the impact on my baby health.

Regards
Naveen Jha
Related Discussions
773637_tn?1327450515
Dear Naveen,

Without seeing your son and evaluating his studies, I cannot say for sure what will happen with the defect.  However, a 2.5 mm ventricular septal defect (VSD) is likely small.  If he is doing well without getting out of breath or getting sweaty with feeds, he should do well.  The likelihood of spontaneous closure of the defect prior to age 12 months is quite high.  However, even if the defect does not close, it should cause no long term problems for him.  The only thing that he would need to do is to make sure that he has good oral hygiene to prevent an infection of the heart.  As well, as a male with a congenital heart defect, the risk for his children to have a cardiac defect is between 5-8%.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank