Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Muscular VSD-2.5mm PG-15MMHG

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Muscular VSD-2.5mm PG-15MMHG

Hi Doctor
Thanks a lot for giving me some hope.I am describing his ECHO report as below
Age-3 days
PG-15MMHG
NO RWMA
LVEF-70%
PFO WITH MINIMUM FLOW
LA NORMAL
RA/RV IS OF NORMAL SIZE FOR AGE
ALL VALVES ARE MORPHOLOGICALLY AND FUCTIONALLY NORMAL
NO PERICARDIAL ECHO DROP
VA/AV CONCORDANCE
SITUS SOLITUS
MUSCULAR VSD OF 2.5 MM FROM LEFT TO RIGHT FLOW

After knowing the fact I am very dipressed since his birth.
After looking on the above detail can you give some feedback how much serious is the situation.
When baby is crying his forhead get blue colored,also he is frequently exposed to cold & cough. Wether these are symptoms of VSD?

Baby Weight at birth-3.5 Kg
Weight after 1.5 month-4.9 kg

Regards
Naveen Jha

The echocradiogram report is describing a small hole in the wall between the 2 lower heart chambers called a ventricular septal defect (VSD), which is a very common congenital abnormality in childrem.  It is one of the most common causes of heart murmurs in children after their birth.  A VSD measuring 2.5 mm is small, and has a high chance of closing over the course of the first few years of life, especially when it is located in the muscular part of the wall.  These holes do not increase in size. The patent foramen ovale (PFO) is a small hole between the upper heart chambers that all babies are born with.  It usually closes up over time. The report suggests that the other heart valves and chambers are functioning well, and it appears that your child is gaining weight well.  There should be no sypmtoms related to this small hole.  His prognosis is excellent.