Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
My new born baby 25 days old has 6 mm ASD and 4mm VSd

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My new born baby daughter is 25 days old.When we went to Pediatric for regular check up.while checking the heart bits he feel bit strange and he suggested for 2D echo.Radiologist diagonesd with  6 mm ASD and 4 mm VSD.I have concern with the Pediatric Cardiologist,she have checked her and my daugther shows no symptons like while feeding,Doctor told us that ASD ll filll by its own and VSD has 50% chance to get fill by its own.So i juzz want to reconfirm that it is possible that holes ll fill by its own or there any other options like medicines or any other new technology..
Waiting for reply
Dear Abhirin,

Without evaluating your daughter, I cannot say for sure what the chances are that these defects will close by themselves.  It is a very good finding that there are no symptoms of getting out of breath or getting sweaty with feeds, as these would be signs of congestive heart failure with the heart and lungs overworking.  Knowledge of fhe location of the VSD would be important to know what the chances of closure are.  There are no medicines that can close these defects--only your daughter's growth will close them, or at least make them smaller.  And, they do not have to fully close--all they have to do is to become small, and she should do well.  If her ASD remains 6 mm in diameter as she grows, there is a device that can be placed by a catheter that can plug the defect.  However, this would not be necessary to consider until age 3-5 years of age.