Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
My 17 days old Baby
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My 17 days old Baby

Hi Doctor,

My 17days old baby girl is diagonised to have VSDs of 2mm in size. There is no symptoms except for a murmur heard through stethescope.

We took our baby for check as she got bit cold.

The report as follows:
2 mm Mid Muscular VSD <2:1 Shunt Gradient of 68/28 MMHG

The birth weight of the baby is 3.58 Kg. No feeding problem seen.

Doctor have stated that it will close automatically as the baby Grows and they have not recommended any kind of medicines. They have instructed to come for check up after an Year.

My questions are:

1.   Does the presence of small VSDs has the effect of a large VSD.

2.   How does the VSDs is going to affect the baby in both Short Terms & Long Term

3.   What are the precaustions to be taken by the parents

4.   What is the chance of spontaneous closure of the VSD.

5.   What are the symptoms we should look for.

Humbly request you to have kindness to explain the queries in ellobrate.

Thanks in advance,

Javed.
773655_tn?1340656399
Small muscular ventricular septal defects (VSDs) are extremely common heart murmurs, and if they are the only heart problem, will pose no extra work for the heart in the short term or the long term.  There is a high chance  (better than 50%) that they can even close spontaneously. There are no special precautions that need to be taken on the part of the family.  The baby would be expected to feed and grow normally. If your child were to have trouble taking in enough nutrition, or was failing to grow normally, or breathing fast most of the time, then you should take the child back to the doctor to check on the VSD. But that is highly unlikely to happen.  Good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
773655_tn?1340656399
Marie M Gleason, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
773637_tn?1327450515
Jeffrey R Boris, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
Blank