Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
My 7 year old complains her heart hurts.

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

For the past two weeks, periodically my daughter screams in pain and says her heart hurts. She falls to the floor screaming and  cries. The pain goes away in about a minute. She's not doing anything athletic. One time she  suffered the attack while coloring and another time in Target screaming across the store in pain. She says it's a sharp pain in her heart and says, "it feels like a needle is entering her heart". We are obviously going to go to the Doctor, but it will be a few days, can anyone help us now?
Dear WiGator,

As mentioned above, in general, brief sharp chest pain is common in children and adolescents and is benign.  We don't know what causes it, but it is probably something musculoskeletal.  Obviously, without seeing her, I can't say for sure what's happening, and can't rule out specific issues with her heart or chest wall, and I do agree with having her seen by her primary care provider to make sure that nothing else is going on.
I'm sure one of the doctors will be on here soon to help you, but in the meantime I can tell you that 'sharp' pain is generally never caused by a heart issue. Obviously, I am not a doctor, but I have raised a child who had true heart related chest pain due to a lack of bloodflow to the heart muscle. Chest pain is usually dull in nature and brought on with some exercise although if the heart muscle receives little blood flow than the child can have chest pain even at rest. Based on what you have written, I don't think a heart problem is the issue, but I would certainly take her to her pediatrician and have him check her out.
Thank you Grendslori. That was my initial reaction since she's a healthy girl. From my football days my deduction would be a muscle pull or cramp.I hope all is well with your child.