Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
My 7yr Old

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My 7yr Old

MY 7YR OLD HAS BEEN HAVING COMPLAINS OF CHEST PAIN AND HEART PALPITATIONS. HE WAS PLAYING BASEBALL AND NEVER HAD COMPLAIN OF ANY OF THOSE SYMPTOMS. HE HAD EKG AND CHEST X-RAYS WICH WAS ALL NORMAL. AND THE SYMPTOMS ARE STILL COMING ON & OFF WITH RESTING AND ALL OF SUDDEN IT COULD EITHER BE SEATING DOWN WALKING AR LAYING DOWN. PLEASE HELP HOW CAN I GET AND ANSWER OF WHATS GOIN ON WITH HIM HE HAS NO PREVIOUS MEDICAL HISTORY.
Most children will complain of chest pain at some point in their lives and this is usually NOT of a cardiac cause.  Chest pain that comes on at rest is usually either musculoskeletal, GI or pulmonary in nature.  If the EKG and chest xray were normal, then likely the chest pain is not cardiac.  The complaint of palpitations is a different issue.  Many times the child is just feeling their heart rate speed up in response to the pain.  Less often they are actualy experiencing an arrhythmia.  If your child was symptomatic when the EKG was done, and the EKG was normal, then that is great.  But if the palpitation had already passed when the EKG was done, then we cannot know what they were feeling prior.  You should check the child's pulse rate if any symptoms occur.  You can also talk to your doctor about seeing a cardiologist and arranging for an event monitor to try to capture the heart rhythm if he has symptoms.