Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
My Son of 45 days old, having SMALL OS ASD 0.41 CM

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Hi Sir,

My son, who is 45 days old Today is having problem :

ACHD : SMALL OS ASD WITH LT TO RT SHUNT of 0.41CM.

please let us know if anything to be worried of this. will be automatically cured, if so how much time it will take for the same to be cured.

Dear Vjay,

Without seeing your son, I do not have all of the information that I need.  However, your cardiologist should review this data with you.  With the minimal information that I have, he has an ostium secundum atrial septal defect (ASD) that measures 4 mm in diameter.  An ASD is one of the most common congenital heart defects seen.  It can be small, moderate, or large.  Based on this one's size, it is probably small, although it could also be moderate.  Chances are reasonable that it could spontaneously resolve by age 3-5 years.  However, it is not important that it close completely; all it has to do is to become small and limit the amount of blood going across it.  It should otherwise not cause a problem at that point ASSUMING that there are no other specific concerns.  Again, I would discuss this further with your cardiologist.