Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
My daughter has pediatric cardiology problem
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

My daughter has pediatric cardiology problem

Hi, I am from Bangladesh. My daughter is 6 month 6 days old. we found her cardiology problem when shw was 1 month 2 weeks. that time the ECHO report sated that " a moderate ASD 2 is seen, size 3.4mm with left to right shunt, non-restrictive. Mild LPA & RPA origin stenosis noticed. PPG:18mmHg. LPA origin size - 3.3mm. RPA origin size- 2.7mm. Trivial TR noticed. PPG:10mmHg. Mild RVH. Intact IVS. No PDA or coarctation seen. No intracardiac mass or vegetation seen. Chamber dimensions normal. All valves and tracts are normal. No pericardial effusion is seen. Good biventricular function." her doctor prescribed us Frusin- contains Furosenide USP, KT- contains Potassium and suggest us to visit her after 6 weeks.

the echo report of 2nd visit   was "A moderate ASD 2 is seen, size-3.4mm with left to right shunt, non-restrictive. superior 7.5mm, inferior rim 8.3mm. Flow acceleration seen through RPA & LPA origin-1.6m/sec. Trivial TR noticed. PPG: 10mmHg. Intact IVS. No PDA or coarctation seen. No intracardiac mass or vegetation seen. Chamber dimensions and wall motion normal. All valves and tracts are normal. No pericardial effusion is seen. Good biventricular function." her docotr and she just informed us that ASD could be bigger than present size and precribed us Folsin- contains Folic Acid.

for the 3rd time we visited her doctor last 8 September and the report is " A small ASD 2 is seen, size-3mm with left to right shunt, restrictive. Flow acceleration seen through RPA origin-1.6m/sec. Mild TR noticed. PPG: mmHg. Intact IVS. No PDA or coarctation seen. No intracardiac mass or vegetation seen. chamber dimensions and wall motion normal. all valves and tracts are normal. No pericardial effusion is seen. Good biventricular function." the doctor does not prescribed anything, or did not advice us earlier medicine Folsin to continue. Is That OK? and are we going on the right track?

please advice?
773655_tn?1340656399
A small atrial level hole measuring 3 mm is really not a secundum atrial septal defect (ASD)--rather it is called a patent foramen ovale; it can be seen in any child under a year of age, as all babies are born with them.  the flow acceleration in the pulmonary artery branches is also not a problem.  I am not sure why the doctor even prescribed the furosemide, as there should be no breathing problems or poor growth associated with a hole of this size.  The folic acid is a vitamin supplement that is completely independent of the heart, so whether she takes that or not is no matter.  Your child should not require any furosemide unless there are other complicating issues like prematurity and lung disease.  Children with this usually grow well.  It sounds like your doctor feels that there is a "problem" when it sounds to me like this is likely normal for age.  Perhaps you should get a second opinion.  
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
773637_tn?1327450515
Jeffrey R Boris, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
773655_tn?1340656399
Marie M Gleason, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
Blank