Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
My daughter's heart

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My daughter's heart

Dear Dr. Jeffery Boris,

I, along with my mother, recently met with you in June regarding my daughter's heart condition (VSD) as a second opinion for surgery. I was truly content with your findings and reccommendations. I feel as though you were "GOD" sent and are very humble and talented. It was hard to believe you when you told me my daughter no longer needed to continue her meds (Digoxin and Lasix), after being told from another cardiology group that we should increase the dosage, and how it was crucial for her to have this surgery so she can start gaining weight rapidly. After having you evaluate her condition, and saying to immediately stop her meds all together, it was mind boggling. I felt confused after being told in the past about possible side effects that could take place on her health and development. After hearing your diagnosis and the confidence in your voice it put me at ease.  You have reccommended for her to have a follow up in three (3) months. In my mind I was thinking "3 whole months"!!! "Isn't that too long"??  I did say to myself "as confident and caring as this Dr. Boris was, I am sure he would not put my daughter in harms way if he thought otherwise". I had to remind myself of that every day because I did worry whether she would have congested heart failure by having stopped her meds cold turkey. Not to mention, I am still in shock to this day that you said "absolutely no surgery at this time" "the hole is only between 2-3mm in diameter" and you strongly believe her VSD will close on it's own, and she will start to gain the weight slowly but surely. Halelujah! That's what runs through my mind every second of the day! Thank you for being so thorough and graceful. We look forward to seeing you again in September. Thank you so much!!   Sincerely, Danielle and baby Gabriella
Dear Danielle and Gabriella,

It is my privilege to take care of you, and I do appreciate your kind comments.  I look forward to seeing you again in September; please call if you have questions or concerns.

Dr B