Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
My does my heart flutter

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My does my heart flutter

Ok, I'm 15 years old and for some time I've felt my heart double beat [[it is what I call it]] and I don't understand it. My mom did have heart problems, and she did have to gett surgery when she was probaly maybe 5 I think.
I stated feeling my heart doing with probaly around maybe 5 or more months ago. It hasn't done it much since I turned 15 last month, but a yesterday it did it again, and a hour ago I think it did. I don't understand, I'm not stressed out or anything, I think, I mean I feel ok and everything, but I just don't gett it.

Oh and my aunt [[oldest and only sister to my mother]] told me that my mom had dark spots around the top of her feet [[she told me that heppened because of her heart problems]], and I actually got one on the top of my foot when I was maybe around 13 or 12, and its still there. Each time I go to the doctor I'm ok, and heathy.
Dear Cupcake,

Unfortunately, I can’t ask you more questions about your history to confirm your symptoms the way I would like to.  However, it sounds to me like you are having single extra heart beats.  These are what we call “ectopic” beats, and can be premature atrial or ventricular contractions.  Frequently, they are caused by caffeine intake, of which we see a lot in adolescents.  Caffeine is a myocardial irritant, which means that it makes your heart really irritable and likely to have early beats like these.  The easiest way to make it go away is to stop caffeine intake.  These sound like they are infrequent enough to not be much of a problem.  However, if they persist despite no caffeine intake, there are special 30-day monitors called loop recorders that a pediatric cardiologist can use to try to assess your palpitations for evidence of an actual abnormal rhythm.

It sounds as if your mother did have a congenital heart defect that required surgical repair in her childhood.  As far as your mother’s spots on her feet, I am not exactly sure what they were/are, so it’s hard to tell what caused them and whether your spot is related, or not.  I am not aware of the creation of spots on the top of the feet because of congenital heart defects, though.