Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
My son has asd and vsd

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My son has asd and vsd

Hi doctor!
My son was born prematurely at 34 weeks but was afed when he came out at 36 weeks. A few days later he was diagnosed with small asd secundum 0.21-0.28 cm. and vsd perimembranous 0.18-0.23cm. He has rapid respiratory rate in the 60s - 80s. Although he is breastfeeding well. He has hiccups everday sometimes at sleep or after breastfeeding.  He also has gagging cough sometimes. Is this connected to his chd? What are the hances of his asd and vsd closing?

Thank you!
Dear Bsuiza,

Without evaluating your son, I cannot say for sure if his symptoms are associated with his congenital heart defects (CHD).  However, I can say that a 2 mm secundum atrial septal defect is quite small and has an excellent chance of spontaneously closing by age one year, if not sooner.  As well, a 2 mm ventricular septal defect is also small, and will likely also close by age one year.  Finally, since these are both small defects, they limit the amount of blood that is recirculating through the lungs, and have a low likelihood of being the cause of his respiratory rate.  Hiccups are a normal finding in newborns, and are a maker of immaturity of the nervous system.  The gagging cough is difficult to tell, as there can be multiple reasons for it.  Your pediatrician or pediatric cardiologist should be able to tell you for sure, though.