Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
My son has vsd-pda non closure

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My son has vsd-pda non closure

My son pda did not close, He also has vsd. he is 4yrs old. He needs surgery to do a partial closure. He did not have symtoms (symptoms), always active eats alot. Did not have chest infections. But there is pressure on his lungs. I am so worried that he was diagnosed to late. He is to have surgery and I am so frightened.
Alison.
Dear Alison,

A patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) is a persistently open blood vessel that all babies have in utero which closes soon after birth.  Sometimes, it can take up to a year to close.  They can be small, medium, or large.  However, if it is small and remains open, it typically does not cause significant problems.  A ventricular septal defect (VSD) is a hole in the wall between the lower two chambers of the heart.  These can also be small, medium, or large.  If it is small, it also typically does not cause a problem.  The only problems associated with these when they are small is the increased risk of an infection of the heart (called endocarditis), and the potential that a VSD just below the aortic valve can lead to distortion of the valve leaflets.  However, chronically untreated moderate or large defects can lead to pulmonary hyperetnsion, or elevated blood pressure across the lungs

A late diagnosis does not necessarily mean that there is a serious problem.  WIthout evaluating him, I cannot say whether he actually needs these defects to be closed, or not.  It sounds to me that you are describing pulmonary hypertension.  Again, without evaluating him, it is impossible for me to know whether he needs this done, or the pulmonary hypertension is independent of his heart defects.