Myocardial Rupture from CPR
Has anyone heard of or have information on the possibility of CPR causing Myocardial Rupture - Cardiac Tamponade in a 2 year old?
Dear Linkquest,

There are very few cases in the medical literature where myocardial rupture is felt to have occurred in association with cardiopulmonary resuscitation.  In the case reports that I could find, 3 were adults, and one was a 4 year-old child.  As best as I can tell, this is most likely due to perforation from a fractured rib during CPR.  It also may be due to weakening of the heart muscle from an underlying disease, such as myocarditis, a viral infection of the heart muscle.  Tamponade is the term that is used when there is enough fluid in the pericardial sac around the heart to prevent adequate inflow and outflow of blood to the heart pump, which leads to severe loss of systemic blood pressure.  Since I don’t have any further details regarding the child to whom you are referencing, I can’t say for sure what may have happened in this case.
Just in case someone is worried that making a statement or helping me with this issue would breach some professional code of silence - my desire for information has nothing to do with a lawsuit against anyone in the medical profession now or in the future