Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
NEC and PDA
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

NEC and PDA

Hello
I'm looking for some advice please.  My 3 year old daughter was born at 37+6weeks.  She was fine for 3 days but became very jaundiced.  The nurses took her to the neo-natal where she became lethargic and began throwing up black mucus from her mouth.  She was discovered to have NEC which she was transferred to Crumlin Childrens Hospital, in Dublin for treatment.  She received treble antibiotics and recovered well.  While in this hospital it was discovered she also had a PDA.  Again she was treated and had it closed at 1 year of age.  She is a very healthy little girl now.
Now I am pregnant with our second child and was wondering what are the chances of this child being born with any of these complaints.
My first pregnancy and birth were very straight forward with no abnormalities, although I did feel that my bloodpressure was a little high for me (I normally read with a slightly low bp but it was coming back normal each week).
Any advice would be grately received
Thank you LauraAnn