Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Need help figuring out echo results.

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Need help figuring out echo results.

I had an echocardiogram a while ago and I was at my doctors today and asked for a copy of the report. My doctor said it was normal overall but there are a few things I'm not sure about:
The LVEF was greater then 65%
Mild tricupsid regurgitation
The estimated RVSP was 34 millimeters of mercury (upper limits normal for age)
Septum is 6mm wide
Everything else it stated that it was normal. Iam a 16 year old male. I had the test done because I was having freqeunt chest pain. Does this seem okay?

Dear Philip,

I’m not sure what you are asking about here.  If you are asking if your echocardiogram report is normal, based on what I am seeing it appears normal.  However, I cannot interpret the report in terms of what was actually seen.  And, as you may have seen me comment on before, adult cardiologists and sonographers do not perform studies that are completely germane to pediatric cardiology needs.  Therefore, I cannot say whether it correlates to what you have nor do I know if your study was complete.  Finally, in terms of how this test result relates to your chest pain, again I do not know.  Without getting a history appropriate for helping me assess your chest pain, I can’t say if your echo findings helped in ruling out a cause for your chest pain, or not.  Frequent chest pain in adolescents is typically not due to the heart and an echocardiogram is usually not indicated, unless there are specific historical features that point to the heart as a source for the pain.  But, without the historical features needed, I cannot say what the source of your chest pain is.
I also forgot to mention the cardiologist who did the test wasn't a pedriatic cardiologist.
Thans for your response. Basicly I was just wondering whether the test was normal or not. I had a stress test and ecg done as well. I don't really have a history of heart problems or any risk factors but I guess they want to rule out the more serious stuff first.