Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Need help

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Need help

I've been to the ER 3 times for my heart, and the doctors have sent me home because they can't find anything wrong. I went to the ER because I had severe chest pain, dizziness, trouble breathing, heart murmur, lose of vision, headache, and very weary. They did EKG's but never found anything and Xrays and CT scans, and never found anything. They've given me a 30day monitor, but the results weren't clear, and a stress test, and I did fine. Now, I randomly get really bad chest pain where I just bend over and grab my chest and I usually can't breathe. I also have weird heart beats, where I like can't breathe at all for a short second and my heart like feels like it stops. I'm only 15. I need help on some idea of what's wrong, since the doctors have no idea. Help.?
Dear Penguins,

Without evaluating you, I can’t say exactly what is happening here.  However, my first inclination is to advise you not to go back to the emergency department for this, since their job is to ensure that you are not acutely dying, and leave more problematic diagnosis to someone else.  Therefore, you should go to your primary provider for further evaluation.

I am concerned that the constellation of symptoms that you have may be consistent with postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), which is a disorder of the autonomic nervous system.  You can read more about this in websites such as www.dinet.org and www.dynakids.org.  At minimum, it would be advisable to make sure that you are having adequate fluid intake (32-48 ounces/day) and a salty snack, not skipping meals, and not having caffeine.  This may help some of your symptoms if it is not consistent with POTS.  Getting 10-14 hours of sleep per night at your age would also be appropriate.  If these do not help, you will likely require more evaluation.  I cannot comment on your chest pain, as I would need to ask more questions to evaluate it.  However, considering the negative evaluation, it is likely non-cardiac in nature.
I get all of these too. A lot of these are symptoms of Chiari as well. but I dont know if that's truly the problem