Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Need honest opinion on ACD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Need honest opinion on ACD

My daughter is pregnant and her unborn baby has Atrioventricular canal defect, along with a diaphragmatic hernia involving the liver.  We were told it is a less than 50% of the baby surviving and will have to have surgery.  Is the percentage correct?  The baby has been tested and does not have downs.  She's due Aug.3rd.  Thanks in advance for your help.
Dear Tonya,

I am not a pediatric surgeon, so I cannot comment on the outcomes of diaphragmatic hernia with or without liver involvement.  However, I can say that an atrioventricular canal should cause no problems in utero, and typically leads to a need for repair in the first two to four months of age (assuming that it is a balanced canal).  I would recommend that your daughter be seen at a location that routinely performs repairs of both diaphragmatic hernia and AV canals.  The experience of the personnel should be able to improve the odds of the outcome.