One year old with clicking noise in vavle
I took my 12 month old to the dr and his pediatrician referred him to see a cardiologist. She heard a clicking noise in his valve as it was opening and closing. He has been healthy since birth.He has a history of reflux and constipation. He out grew the reflux and with his new diet he doesn't suffer from constipation. What could be causing this? I read online about parents who have children with these same symptoms, but it was since birth, and they needed valve replacement. My main question is is it possible that my son wont need the surgery because this just started or could he be a candidate still even if it just started happening? I'm hoping its not serious because this just started happening and he was not born with any heart problems.
Dear Sasha,

A click in a valve without a murmur is most commonly caused by a bicuspid aortic valve or by mitral valve prolapse.  An isolated click does not automatically mean surgery is needed.  In fact, bicuspid aortic valve and mitral valve prolapse can both remain stable without any reduction in valve performance over a lifetime.  However, bicuspid aortic valve can also be associated with progressive aortic valve obstruction or leakage as well as aortic root dilation and, potentially, rupture.  MItral valve prolapse can have progressive mitral valve leakage.  Therefore, it is important to first get a complete diagnosis and then determine what potential associated complications can occur.  If they are needed, your cardiologist will then work with you to figure out what kind of follow-up appointment timing will be done.