Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
PFO and APS/Hughes Syndrome

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

PFO and APS/Hughes Syndrome
My baby was born at 30 weeks perfectly healthy, screaming and kicking. She's now 20 weeks and has been diagnosed with a PFO. I (mom) have APS or Hughes Syndrome. I'm concerned that the PFO is already going to increase her risk for clots and stroke. If she inherits my APS, how will this affect her? Would it be advisable to have the PFO repaired or "wait and see"? I'm stressed for her quality AND quantity of life.
All children are born with a patent foramen ovale (PFO).  If your child was premature, it is more likely that it will stay open longer.  But even in term children, it may take months or years to close.  Small PFOs are usually not an issue, but if you have a clotting disorder, then there is an increased risk of stroke.  If your baby does not have an inherited disorder that affects blood clotting, then there should be no more increased risk of stroke than in anyone else.  You should discuss your concerns regarding inherited clotting disorders with your child's pediatrician.