Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
PVC's in two year old

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

PVC's in two year old

My two year old just had a sleep study done and it was discovered that she has PVC's. I wasn't told how many or any information but was referred to cardiologist for evaluation. I can't find ANY information on a child this young having these. Should I be concerned? She was adopted and we have no medical history. There was no prenatal care so they would not have caught any heart problems during ultrasounds etc. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Tags: pvc's, Heart
PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) can occur at any age.  In childhood, they most often occur with no structural heart disease.  However they can occur with heart muscle problems (cardiomyopathies) or electrical problems in the heart (prolonged QT syndrome).  If your daughter is adopted it is important to know if she has any genetic heart condition, and should see a cardiologist for an electrocardiogram (ECG) and echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart).  PVCs can also occur when taking certain medications, or if the oxygen level is low.  You mention that she was having a sleep study, which the average 2 year old does not have; so I assume she is having either breathing or airway issues.  This might also factor into the presence of the PVCs.  The cardiologist should be able to reviw this with you further.
Thank you for your response. The sleep study concluded that she had only a few events but that her oxygen levels were not affected.I had caught a few apnea events but seem to be positional. They recommend medication to help reduce tonsils or adenoids (adenoids) to make it easier for her to breathe and not snore but nothing more needed. If she continues to have throat infections they will remove tonsils\adenoids (adenoids). She is not currently on any meds and is otherwise healthy. She was adopted internationally and we are aware that she was malnourished, we assume her birth mother was also malnourished. Do you think this would cause a problem while developing? Thanks again
Malnourishment could be associated with these, but if she has been in your care for some time, I am sure that she is on the right track nutritionally, and that should not be an issue.