Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Pain in chest under left brest

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Pain in chest under left brest

Ok I'm 17 years old and in Jan. I began to experince pain in the middle of class, but it would go away if i held my breath. When I told my mom about it in April she said it was plgesy and that she'd take me to the dr. Well, we don't have the time or money. So now in June I'm still having pain. For a little while my brest was sore, so I thought it was my bra. But last night the pain got worse it was a constent pain and would not go away, mom had me take tylonal and antibiotics to relieve the pain. It did not work. This morning it's still there, and if I  put pressure where it hurts it hurts more like a bruse does. My mom now thinks it is a pulled muscle because I carried my suitcase with clothes and stuff in it down stairs, but since I lifted with my right I don't understand how my Left would be hurting. I have also noticed that with sitting on my bed and doing nothing since dec. other than eat i have noticed that I have been loseing wieght, that and I haven't had to use my inhaler for over a year, but three days ago i was in a 17 hour car ride doing no excerise and needed it. can someone please help me?
Chest pain in young people is of cardiac origin in only a minority of cases.  It sounds like your chest discomfort has been going on for several months, it occurs mostly at rest, and can be influenced by chest wall motion (ie: breath holding, pressing on the area).  This usually supports the pain being of a non-cardiac or musculoskeletal origin.  If there is inflammation of a muscle or ligament, treatment with ibuprofen is often prefered to use, instead of Tylenol (acetominophen). You can also try warm compresses and avoid exertion for at least a week.  However, if your symptoms worsen, then you should seek medical attention.
I also have history of cancer in my family. my grandma died of brest cancer before i was born