Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Pain when I eat in my chest

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Pain when I eat in my chest

I have a constant ache in my chest just slightly to the left above my breast.  It appears to get worse when I have eaten something - a burning sensation which is quite hurtful when the food passes through.  I have had a heart monitor fitted for 24 hours earlier this week due to an ECG being done in December.  Do you think this pain is associated with my heart or is it just indigestion...
It would be impossible for us to be able to tell you the exact cause of your discomfort via email.  However, if you have worsened symptoms with eating, it makes it unlikely to be of cardiac origin. Perhaps you should discuss your symptoms with the doctor who ordered the ECG and holter monitor, and see if they feel you should get an evaluation by a gastroenterologist.
Thank you so much for your reply..
The discomfort is continuing, however it doesnt burn when food is passing through but is instant indigestion feeling after a mouthful or so of food, been the cotors who have givem me some Omeprizole tablets to take if the pain is still there and not settled by Friday they will see about having a camera down the throat to see what is going on - do you feel this is the right option?
If pain starts immediately after taking in food, then it is likely GI in origin and not cardiac.  Your doctors may ask to do an endoscopy to look at your swallowing tube (esophagus) and stomach.  This is a commonly done procedure.  You need to discuss the pros and cons of any procedure with your doctor.