Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Please help

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Please help

Dear Dr. Last month I noticed my son appeared to be really red in the face and looked flush. I took his pulse using a pulse oximeter and noticed it said 164 at rest. My son takes pulmicort .5 nebulizer twice a day, and singulair 5mg once a day. His pediatrician sent him to a pediatric cardiologist who placed him on an event monitor for 24 hours. He said the results were normal with an average rate of 104 and the highest being 157. He has since had 3 normal ekgs and currently has an event monitor on. His pulse has been no higher than 132 for the last few days. When it was 130 ' I recorded it and sent it off to the dr. They said if normal they would not call. No one has called thus far. Dr is saying he has an "normal, abnormally fast heart rate." And suggests we do nothing. I feel that something causes a high heart rate and don't know what to do next. His asthma is controlled.  He is six, weighs 77lbs and is 4'3 inches. Thank you.
Dear Mommy2one,

For a 6 year old, a heart rate in the 130's if he is active, and even up to the 160's while active, is normal.  That said, without evaluating him, I cannot say exactly what is going on with him.  If he is asymptomatic but appears to be flushed, and may have some tachycardia, I would ensure that he is having adequate fluid intake, which is one of the most common reasons that we see for routine sinus tachycardia in the clinic (especially when they don't have symptoms).  For his age, about 32 ounces per day of water or milk would be reasonable.
Sorry, that should have said holter monitor first. Then ekgs and now has an event monitor. Also I forgot to type that he has never complained of chest pain, fast heartbeat or a fluttering sensation. When his pulse is in the 130s I will ask him if he can feel his heart racing and he always says no. He always says he feels fine. Thank you.
Bump