Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Premature Baby boy Hole in the Heart

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Premature Baby boy Hole in the Heart

Hello Doctor,

My 15 day premature baby boy is 10 days old and by the time of birth his weight was 2.3Kg. The doctor nearby found that her heart noise was observed differently and he requested us to scan and confirm if there is any heart defect. we did the echo test and found that he has 3mm lower mid muscular ventricular septal defect. He has given one liquid to my son for 0.1 ml every day morn & even. He has asked us to come back after 1 months. I am totally down after hearing it from the doctor.How critical is this problem. Is any special care needed. Kindly clarify me and eagerly waiting for your reply. How often this problem occurs and how many cases are cured automatically if you know.
Dear Valtuu,

Without evaluating your son, I cannot say exactly what needs to be done for him.  I can say that a 3 mm muscular ventricular septal defect is relatively small, and there is a very good chance that it will close by itself with time without him needing intervention.  He will need to be observed for getting out of breath or getting sweaty with feeds--if this increases, this is a sign of congestive heart failure, and he will need to be seen by his cardiologist for consideration of medical therapy to help him.  Otherwise, he will hopefully remain without symptoms and grow nicely.