Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Prominent pulmonary artery shows in fetal ultrasound

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

I did the ultrasound at 20wk and 3d, here is the result:
"Structurally normal heart except for a prominent main pulmonary artery at the level of the origin of the ductus arteriosus.  The ductus appears more generous than usual but with normal flow.  No intracardiac pathology noted.  Normal Doppler pattern in ductus venosus, normal flow pattern in the umbilical artery (fetal and placental ends), normal flow pattern in the uterine arteries. "

My doctor said no worrisome news so far but need follow-up ultrasound in 6 weeks.  I asked the diameter of pulmonary artery, and she said 4.7mm something which is normal, just the connection to the ductus is bigger, which is unusual.  I am very worried and searched all the info from the Internet.  What does it mean to be according to your experience?  Would it have higher risk to cause the failure of ductus closure after birth(PDA)?  Would natural birth be more helpful for the closure?  This is my 2nd baby and I had C-section in the first time.  What questions should I ask in next ultrasound?

Thanks a lot!
To answer your questions, the method of delivery has nothing to do with whether a patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) closes normally after birth.  As far as the size of the pulmonary artery and ductus arteriosus are concerned on a fetal echocardiogram, that is not of much concern directly.  Those 2 things can be assessed after the birth of the baby. there can be variation in the size of the PDA.  What is most important is whether or not the aortic arch appears normal in size.  If the pulmonary artery and PDA appear larger and the aortic arch appears smaller, that is a prenatal indicator for possible development of narrowing in the aorta called coarctation of the aorta after the child's birth.  However, there is nothing to do about any of this prenatally.  so at the next ultrasound they should do a careful evaluation of the size and patency of the aortic arch.  if that looks fine, then the size of the pulmonary artery and PDA do not matter, as long as the flow of blood through them is normal.  Everything else can be assessed after birth with an echocardiogram.  Good luck.