Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Recommendation

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Recommendation

My daughter was born with Truncus Arteriosus and is 11 years old now.  She is a former patient of Dr. Boris while he was at Keesler in 2003 before he was relocated.  My daughter is currently having her procedures done in Birmingham, Al by Dr. McMahon and Dr. Kirkland.  My husband is being transferred this summer to Elizabeth City, NC.  I was just wondering if there were any doctors to recommend in or around that area, both cardiologists and surgeons.
Dear Wildephyre,

How are you guys?  I hope well, and I hope that your daughter is doing well, also.  Elizabeth City is in the northeast part of NC, and is not particularly close to any major pediatric cardiac surgical centers.  The three centers that are closest to you include East Carolina University, in Greenville, Duke University, in Durham, and University of North Carolina, in Chapel Hill.  There are cardiologists at all 3 locations as well as surgeons.  However, you will want to look for a place that has a sizable surgical volume as well as interventional cardiology, in addition to having a primary cardiologist.  All the best with your PCS (permanent change of station, for the non-military folks).
HEY!!! Another AF family!! (although we are now retired) We got stationed at Randolph in San Antonio to be near Wilford Hall, but I hear now that they have pretty much closed down? If you like the place you are at, why not try and stay there? Is your family part of the CHAP program (Children have A Potential) I'm not sure if the AF have stopped that program, but if they haven't, they will send you to the bases that have facilities to take care of your child. Keesler was a nice base, we traveled there once to see Dr Creech who took care of our girls in England.