Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
SVT

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

SVT

My daughter was born with SVT and we were told she out grew it. She is almost 15 and this last month she said her chest was hurting and today she said her chest hurt and then she felt faint just walking. I remember when she would have these episodes she would pass out. Can SVT come back is my question.
Dear Meshel,

Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) is a fast abnormal heart rhythm that occurs because there is more than the typical one and only connection between the upper and lower chambers of the heart.  Electricity can go down one pathway and back up the other one, and continue around in a circle very quickly.  About 2/3 of babies with SVT have what we think is spontaneous resolution by about age 6-12 months.  However, 1/3 of them can "return" later in childhood, adolescence, or adulthood.  It isn't that it went away, per se, but that the heart rate slowed down enough as the child grew older so that an early beat could enter at just the right time to initiate the abnormal electrical cycle.

The good thing is that she is now verbal (as opposed to when she was a baby), so she can tell you if her heart is beating very fast.  If that is what is occurring, she should be seen by a pediatric cardiologist for further evaluation.  However, I would also make sure that she is having 32-48 ounces of fluid (water/milk), a salty snack (pretzels, saltines, pickles), not skipping meals, and eliminating caffeine on a daily basis, as dehydration in adolescents is common and cause a feeling of "faintness."