Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Small subaortic VSD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Small subaortic VSD

Dear Sir,

My new born (3days) baby boy diagnosed with 2mm sub aortic VSD ,after  2D echo Doctor said not to worry and told me to review after 6 months, what chances are there of getting recovering of my Baby from this, Please suggest,

Thanks and regards
Dear Gagan,

If your son has a very small VSD of this size, there is an excellent chance of it closing on its own and not causing troubles, though I cannot say this for sure without evaluating him and ensuring that there aren't other issues going on.  Sometimes the evaluation can underestimate the size of the defect, so I often see my patients with what I think is a small VSD at age 2 months to make sure that they don't have symptoms of congestive heart failure, including getting out of breath or getting sweaty with feeds.  The only other issue with this small VSD is that if it does not close, there is a small chance that the jet of blood going through the defect can cause suction to distort and to pull down one of the leaflets in the aortic valve above it.  This will need to be observed over time if the defect remains open.