Strattera and BAV
My son will soon turn 15 and was diagnosed last week with having a Bicuspid Aortic Valve.  He also began taking Strattera about 6 months ago. He infrequently experiences rapid heart beat with chest pain followed by nausea (hence the reason for the cardiologist visit, tests and diagnosis).  Though the episodes are becoming more infrequent, they are worse when he gets them. His doctors don't feel the Strattera is dangerous to his condition and neither the MD nor the Cardiologist feel it is necessary to stop taking it. I, also, hate to discontinue the Strattera because he's finally becoming the student we (and his teachers) always knew he could be. Are there studies on the affect of Strattera on adolescents with BAV?  I'm still just very nervous that the medication, combined with his condition, may cause harm.
Dear Taworkman,

There is no medical literature that specifically looks at bicuspid aortic valve and its interaction with any psychoactive medications or stimulants.  Overall, if his bicuspid aortic valve is otherwise functioning normally, his risk of any problems should be no greater than any other adolescent.  This means that he has no significant valvar obstruction or leakage.  However, without evaluating him more fully, I cannot say for sure.