Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Subaortic membrane, probable cleft mitral valve , 2 asds and vsd

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Doctor, my 20 month old son was born with 2 ASDs and a vsd. In December 2012 he was diagnosed with a subaortic membrane and a probable cleft mitral valve and left jvd. my son had an ultrasound done of his jugular veins to r/o a clot and us was negative and his cardiologist doesn't think left sided JVD  is cardiac related at this time. My son was also diagnosed by pcp in march 2013 with asthma he occasionally will get SOB and wheezing when playing. How serious are his heart problems and how can I be sure that he has asthma and breathing issues are not cardiac related? Thank you for your time !
Dear Corwy,

Unfortunately, without evaluating your son, it is very difficult to split out how much of his problems are cardiac and how much are pulmonary.  It is likely that, if his VSD is small, considering that he is 20 months of age and has had no intervention for it, his respiratory issues are more likely to be pulmonary (asthma) in nature.  However, if the defect is moderate sized and he is growing poorly, it could be cardiac.  Also, I have no idea how big or obstructive the subaortic membrane is.  Therefore, I would recommend that you discuss this with your pediatric cardiologist, who should be able to determine this.  If you feel that your answers are not getting answered appropriately, you can always consider obtaining a second opinion.